Tuesday 23 October 2007

Popcorn and Handkerchiefs

I can't imagine why I willingly sit down and watch bad things happen to good animals, but I am, admittedly, a sucker for a heart-wrenching animal flick. Here's a list of my top four tear-jerkers:

OLD YELLER (1957)

The death of a devoted pet is bad enough, but having to kill that pet is unimaginable. And watching all this on the screen? Nuts. Yet, a couple of years ago, I sat my daughter down to watch this classic. I've probably scarred her for life.

BAMBI (1942) and DUMBO (1941)

These animations deal with losing or being separated from one's mother. Boy, that Disney guy sure knew how to pull our heartstrings--two more tear-inducing flicks. Dumbo may have been what initially turned me off circuses.


BORN FREE (1966)

It's been over 40 years since I first saw this film, yet even humming the title song can still choke me up. Unlike the other movies listed here, this one was based on a true story, and that makes it even more poignant. If I cry over a lioness leaving home, how the hell am I going to deal with my daughter going off on her own?


Come to think of it, I haven't see a good, bawl-your-eyes-out animal movie for a long time. Any recommendations?

No comments: