Monday 14 January 2008

Dealing with Stray and Feral Cats

Chowder Long Haired Tabby in YardMy parents have a problem with four cats (all from the same house down the street). The cats pee on their porch, gardens and windowsills, and the owner is unwilling to do anything. My mom has tried the half-filled water bottles sprinkled around the garden--it doesn't look great but seems to do the trick in warm weather. In the winter, frozen water doesn't freak the cats out as much, so my parents recently moved on to something new: chicken wire spread out over the problem areas. It doesn't hurt the cats but they don't like to walk on it. Well, that's the theory; I'll let you know if it's successful in getting rid of the not-so-stray cats.

Stray and feral cats can be a real problem, especially in the winter when some venture closer to homes, and food sources such as birds that hang out at the feeders. The Humane Society advised my parents to trap the cats and bring them in. If the cats were friendly, they'd be put up for adoption or their owner found; if the cats were vicious, they'd be euthanized. Obviously, trapping them isn't always an option for home-owners plagued by unwanted cats.

If the chicken wire doesn't work, what else can my parents and others do? I've combed the Internet for humane suggestions, and this is what I've found:

TNR (trap, neuter, release) has proven to be the most effective method of controlling the population of feral cats. There may be organizations in your area that do it for free.

Spraying (and re-spraying) Mr. Clean Cleanser Ultimate Orange appears to discourage cats from hanging around.

If you're willing to spend big bucks, the Motion Activated ScareCrow Sprinkler will keep water-hating felines away. The same company sells something called Shake-Away powder.

Block entryways to places the cats might like to live--under porches or sheds.

Use coyote or fox urine. I have absolutely no idea how one gets a hold of the stuff.


Sadly, I discovered many posters on the websites I visited advocated shooting or poisoning the cats. I understand that getting rid of any kind of pest can be a nightmare, but killing them is so wrong, in so many ways. There's got to be an effective method out there--one that doesn't harm the cats. Does anyone have a tried-and-true way of dealing with this problem that they'd like to pass on?

Above picture of my cat, Chowder, on one of our visits to the yard.



Update on the chicken wire solution: The cats are steering clear of the areas where my parents have put the chicken wire, but they are now spraying elsewhere. I think my mom and dad may have to cover the house and yard with the stuff.

No comments: