Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Toy Poodles And Dangers At Home

You consider your house as the safest place for your Toy Poodles but sometimes, dangers can be just right within your pet's reach. Unknowingly, the things you are fond of and you consider of great value and use can cause your dog's life. What I am trying to say is that, household items such as antifreeze, household cleaners and detergents as well as household plants such as chrysanthemum, poinsettia, asparagus fern and daffodil are not safe for your dogs.

Common household toxins include antifreeze, tylenol (acetaminophen), insecticides, toilet bowl cleaners, bleach, detergents, flea products, mothballs, coffee grounds, potpourri, batteries, cigarettes and alcoholic drinks.

Chrysanthemum and poinsettia give rash after contact with the skin while philodendrum, arrowhead vine, Boston ivy and drunk cane can irritate the mucus membrane causing swollen mouth or painful tongue. Amaryllis, elephant ears, asparagus fern, azalea and umbrella plant cause vomiting, abdominal pain, cramps and even tremors.

Common symptoms of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting, seizures, stumbling or staggering, breathing difficulty, excessive drooling, weakness, abdominal pain, excessive urination, diarrhea, skin irritation and decreased appetite.

Dealing with this problem is no ordinary task. Remember that your dog's life is at stake. You have to take immediate yet effective steps to correct things. If you suspect that your dog may have been poisoned, identify the poison first. Identifying the poison can be difficult especially if the incident was not witnessed. To make correct diagnosis, samples of urine, feces and vomitus are being tested. If poisoned by chemicals, read the product label to give you a clue to its possible toxicity.

Poisoning problems should be considered emergency so contact your vet immediately for proper and extensive treatment. While you are waiting for professional help, help eliminate the poison from your pet's stomach by induced vomiting. However, induce vomiting is not recommended if the dog is severely depressed or unable to swallow. If the correct diagnosis has been made, administration of activated charcoal is commonly used. This prevents further absorption by binding the toxin. Administration of intravenous fluids and medications such as mannitol or furosemide may be used.

To prevent this from happening, keep poisonous items out of your pet's reach. Prescription and even over-the-counter medicines should be kept in a locked cabinet out of your dog's reach. Check your plants at home and yard. Keep your pet from going near poisonous plants and make sure they do not go on areas treated with fertilizersArticle Submission, insecticides and the likes.

Source: Free Articles from

No comments: